Status: Training Slump
Sometimes when involved in parkour(or anything for that matter), we hit a “Training Slump”. It causes laziness to kick in, interest in other things more than parkour, or even an excessive lack of training. Almost everything else becomes more interesting, and parkour isn’t. Either that or you’re just having a hard time going out to train, and it starts to feel like a chore. It definitely happens to the best of us sometimes, and to others, not at all.
When you’re in a training slump, it may be tough to get out of it. Some friends I’ve had in the past are in a permanent training slump, and they no longer train. Thats ok! Because there are MANY, many things to do in this world. But whats the best way to get out of a training slump?
- Stop training until you actually get excited to train again.
- Do something else thats active. Pick up a sport or start working out.
- Train differently than you have been, it may spark your interest.
- Train with someone different, or even alone if you usually train with others.
- Have your friends push you to try something new.
- TRY SOMETHING NEW. Sometimes slumps happen because you get too comfortable with what you’re doing.
- Train in different clothes or shoes.
- Watch a lot of inspiring videos.
Sometimes your lack of interest in training could be the very reason you started training in the first place. Parkour is a big stress reliever. Many people train to get away from the world for a while and release their stress. But sometimes, there are things that an overpower even are most peaceful places. That may be the time to take care of things that you need to, instead of running away from them. Every person is different, so there could be a number of reasons why your training slump is happening.
There may even be someone or something unexpected who might be able to help you as well. Just look around. Inspiration is everywhere, and in everyone. Just keep moving!
(Written by Vinnie Coryell)